Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I gave some sober alcoholics a ride home tonight, three alcoholics. 4 if you count me, which I do. 4 alcoholics all heading home after a small meeting that took place in a small room. One headed to meet curfew at the halfway house, another cross town to crash on a couch and a third armed with nothing but the clothes on his back, an old army blanket, a Big Book and 2 days of sobriety. I was there, I was doing him a favor by not letting him have a warm dry place to sleep. It can only get better for him and it will if he chooses so.

Seeing him head off in the rain in the blackness of night made me grateful, tears came to my eyes and a lump in my throat. I remember that blackness, the loneliness, the wet and the cold, ....the nothing. Looking at every warm lit house i passed with resentment anger and disgust. I and my bridge, I and my loneliness. I