Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bandit Trumps ST2



Likely i have just violated some copyright laws but that's OK. Here below is a fine illustration of what I consider to be the best all around street bike your hard earned money can buy. A 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S. Sure I could have put up a pic of my own Bandit but this is just one damn fine drawing.

Were talking torque here people....lots of it, high red line but will buck right into about 3500 rpm at a normal cruising speed. I knew I wanted this bike for many months and even rode the 600cc variety however realized that only a 1200 would really satisfy my thirst, and speaking of thirst, if I did have to pic one downfall of this machine it would be small gas tank coupled with low gas mileage. Maybe we cant have it all but the Bandit comes damn close to giving it. Suzuki has done little to toil with this product however the newer models are now fuel injected and are actually about 1247cc in comparison to the 1149 you see here and the seat has been moved around a little but other than that the same trusty steed now going on 17 years I believe. Bandits would likely be a cult bike if they had only been imported for say 2 or 3 years and I find it surprising not to see more of them on the roads but perhaps that is one more thing to like. When you ride, say a Ninja 500, or a CB something or other, they are all over the damn place. But a Bandit.....now that's like seeing a real Trans Am. Sure they are out there but it ain't your ma's Taurus that's fer sure. So what you might ask did I you beloved author sacrifice for my Bandit. The answer is the red beauty you see above. Other than aforementioned gas mileage I feel the Bandit is more comfy, better control layout with a more user friendly approach, I feel much more confident in the lean and I can swap the battery in all of 5minutes compared to the 20-30 it took on the Duc just to get to the damn thing. And while yes the ST2 did and still does have its own fine qualities not the least of which is "heh....its a Ducati!" Which garnered plenty of double takes and low under the tongue whistles from many an enthusiast, my smart money sez Bandit.